All of the deliciousness of homemade bread, made easy, cheap, and with clean ingredients! There’s no kneading necessary with this simple 3-ingredient bread. An easy budget recipe that comes out to just $0.07 per slice! Plus, by most standards, it’s vegan! (Yeast is considered a fungi.)
1/4 tsp instant yeast
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 5/8 cups water
3 cups whole wheat flour
- In a large bowl combine flour, yeast, and salt. Whisk to integrate. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended. Dough will be shaggy and sticky.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours (preferably about 18 hours) at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.
- Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it. Sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself a few times.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.
- Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to your fingers, shape dough into a ball. Put dough seam-side down on towel and dust with more flour.
- Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it’s ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.
- At least 30 minutes before dough is ready, heat oven to 450°F (230°C). Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in the oven WHILE it heats up.
- When dough is ready, use oven mitts to carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam-side up. (If it’s a bit of a mess, it’s okay!) Shake pan slightly to evenly distribute dough. (Don’t worry too much, it will straighten out as it bakes.)
- Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes. Then, remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned.
- Cool on a rack before slicing and enjoying!
Serving: 1 slice